Smackdown Review 12/27/2019
SMACKDOWN LIVE REVIEW 12/27/2019
Its the Wrestling Classic aka Justin Dhillon back here for this weeks review of Smackdown. Tonight we find out who becomes the number one contender for Bray Wyatt’s Universal Championship when Bryan, The Miz and Corbin compete in a triple threat match. Lacey Evans also responds to Sasha Banks’ actions last week when she taunted her daughter at ringside. We also haven’t seen Roman Reigns since TLC when he speared Baron Corbin into a sea on wrestlers. Will he show up tonight? Also what’s next for Braun Strowman now that he has set his eyes on the Intercontinental Championship? What is next for the Revival? Will the love story between Otis and Mandy continue? Will Mella’s winning streak continue? Lets find out.
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQOYraeFlX-xd8f3adQtTw iTunes – https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/twc-show/id1474551466 Spotify – https://open.spotify.com/show/5DXU6kqwuKJPYwhnQPvQQE
Live from the Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, MI.
– Michael Cole and Corey Graves are on commentary.
– Elias is in the ring to perform a new song. He starts out repeating “We want Elias!” and sings about tonight’s matches & segments. This was a fun way to use Elias and some of his insults such as making fun of Bayley’s hair was great.
Number One Contenders Match
Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz vs. Baron Corbin
We go to the ring for tonight’s big Triple Threat as Daniel Bryan makes his way out. King Corbin is out next as Greg Hamilton does the introductions. Corbin is carried out on his caravan. He takes the mic and stops the music. Corbin addresses Bryan as Bryan looks on from the ring. Corbin says we’re going to do SmackDown his way. He knocks the fans as bottom-feeders and says they are jealous of his career. Corbin goes on and says Bryan and The Miz are both bad fathers. Corbin says Bryan should just step aside. He says he deserves the next title shot because he’s defeated Roman Reigns twice since he returned, something no one else has done. Corbin keeps ranting about how he’s the only one who can beat The Fiend. Corbin continues to rant until the music of Reigns hits. Corbin’s servants freak out at the sound of Reigns’ music and they drop his caravan, sending Corbin falling to the floor at ringside. Reigns then comes out and unloads, beating Corbin around the ringside area as fans cheer him on. Reigns calls for a Spear at ringside as he waits for Corbin to get up. WWE officials and referees run down and calm Reigns down a bit. Corbin retreats now. His servants are also gone. Reigns stands tall and looks out at the crowd while his music starts back up.
I was a little surprised they were going to kick off the show with this match but I should have expected something was going to happen. It was predictable that Reigns was going to show up tonight to continue his feud with Corbin but I wasn’t expecting it to be so soon. The servants dropping Corbin was funny as well.
– Backstage, Corbin complains that they need to postpone the match. Adam Pearce tells Corbin he doesn’t have the authority to do that. You know since there are technically no authority figures to appear on television no more I suppose. Who is making the decisions around here?
Braun Strowman & The New Day def. Shinsuke Nakamura, Cesaro & Sami Zayn
In a competitive six man tag match, Braun Strowman and The New Day defeat Nakamura, Cesaro and Zayn when Strowman hits Nakamura with a powerslam after Kofi hits Nakamura over the back of the head with the pancake platter plate.
After the match, Braun and The New Day stand tall as Braun’s music hits. Sami is complaining about how the winners cheated. Kofi takes the mic and calls for the “scary music” to be cut. Kofi says we all know about Strowman’s hands, but he also has a great set of hips we don’t know about. Big E says it’s time for the fans to “get this dance” now. The New Day’s music starts back up and they try to get Braun to dance but he’s not interested. The music stops. Braun shoves Kofi back into the corner. Strowman returns to the middle of the ring as a “get these hips!” chant starts up. Strowman looks out at the crowd and finally starts dancing. The New Day joins him and the crowd cheers them on.
This was Sami’s first match in a while and its great to see him be utilized more than just a manager since you know..he’s actually a wrestler. The outcome made sense as they are building towards Braun Strowman challenging Shinsuke for the IC Title. At first when I realized they were going to make Strowman dance I was disappointed in it. Then I started thinking about all the people who used to dance with Too Cool and Rikishi during the Attitude Era and also that the WWE has shown that the Strowman character has a fun side in the past, it didn’t bother as much. I actually found myself smiling when he was breaking it down. This was a fun little moment that doesn’t really hurt Strowman as he can easily switch back to being a monster next week.
– Backstage, Kayla Braxton announces that Corbin refuses to compete tonight and demands the match be postponed. WWE Managment says the match will happen and it will happen tonight. It is not a singles match between Miz and Bryan.
– Backstage, we see Sonya Deville and Mandy Rose backstage. Rose reminds Sonya that she has a match coming up next. Sonya asks if Rose expects her support tonight when she wasn’t there for her loss to Carmella last week. Rose reminds her that she was covered in the sweat of Otis last week after he hugged her due to the Secret Santa gift. Deville appears to be on the same page with her partner but she has some autographs to deliver first. Rose turns to leave but runs into Otis. He’s got a fruit cake in his hands and he’s sorry for getting sweat all over her last week. He says his mother saw the kiss and hug last week, so she made this cake for Rose. Rose receives the cake but she’s not interested in anything else it looks like. Otis seems like he wants to say something else or hug Rose but Rose says she has a match and will see Otis later. Rose walks off. YES, they are keeping this angle going.
Carmella def. Mandy Rose
In a quick match, Carmella defeats Mandy Rose after levelling her with a kick for the W.
My girl Mella got pyro again this week and continues to stack up victories by defeating both members of Fire and Desire in back to back weeks. They even aired a pre-recorded promo of hers as she made her entrance making me wonder if there are some big plans for her moving forward. Mandy Rose wasn’t victorious and I wonder if that will cause any more tension between Rose and Deville.
– We get a new “coming soon” return vignette for Sheamus. The Celtic Warrior goes on about the state of SmackDown, about how he left SmackDown with men who could never be worthy of being champion, or worthy of facing him. Sheamus says he left 9 months ago but he’s back and ready to break down the door on a whole new SmackDown. I can’t wait to see the Celtic Warrior make his return.
Number One Contenders Match
The Miz vs. Daniel Bryan
This match goes into a no contest as after minutes of Miz and Bryan going back to fourth as Corbins servants hit the ring and attack both Bryan and The Miz. Bryan and Miz end up taking out all the servants.
They tried for a second time to crown the number one contender but once again Corbin intervenes to make sure he still gets the opportunity to wrestle for the shot at the title. I’m alright with this because I was confused what was going to go on last if this was going on now. They couldn’t possible be closing the show with The Moment of Bliss and if they were something major must be happening. However, the moment this match ended I knew we were still going to get our triple threat.
– Backstage, King Baron Corbin is with Kayla Braxton in the Gorilla area. Corbin has more guards with him. Kayla asks what that was and Corbin says it was justice. Corbin blames everything on Roman Reigns. We see Bryan and Miz watching from the ring on the big screen now. Kayla reveals Reigns has been asked to leave the building. Corbin says this changes everything and he’s now willing to compete, even with the bumps and bruises from earlier. Corbin goes on about how he will win tonight but he’s suddenly attacked backstage by Bryan and Miz. They fight everyone as we go to break.
A Moment of Bliss w/ Lacey Evans
Its the FOX debut of the “A Moment of Bliss” segment. Bliss is joined by co-host Nikki Cross. Alexa welcomes us to the show and then she allows Cross to introduces their guest for tonight – Lacey Evans.
Bliss welcomes Evans and compliments her theme music which Evans thanks her in return. Bliss brings up Evans’ recent troubles with Sasha Banks and SmackDown Women’s Champion Bayley, and how Banks taunted Evans’ daughter last week. Bliss shows us a replay of what happened on last week’s SmackDown as Evans’ daughter was sitting in the front row with her husband. Evans says she’s proud of her kid because she’s a fighter like her mother, but Banks crossed a line that you don’t cross. Evans says her daughter is the most important person to her and she snapped last week when she heard her cry out for her. Evans says she speaks for other parents when she says you just don’t mess with a child. Evans goes on and says there’s nothing in this world she wouldn’t do to stop someone who comes in between she and her baby, and Banks put herself there.
Evans says Banks would not have walked out of the arena last week if people didn’t pull her off. Evans is thankful that Bliss invited her on her show tonight, but she knows what happens on these shows and she’s not going to turn her back so two nasties can attack her. She says she knows Banks and Bayley are in the arena tonight, so she’s going to excuse herself and head to the ring so she can fight. Evans drops the mic and marches to the ring as her music hits. Lacey Evans waits in the ring as Dana Brooke makes her way out next. Sasha Banks and SmackDown Women’s Champion Bayley appear instead, holding Dana by her hair. Banks says Evans may be a great mother but she’s a terrible tag team partner. Banks drops the mic and they double team Brooke on the stage but she fights back. Evans rushes up the ramp and joins in on the brawl. Referees rush out and try to keep them all separated on the ramp.
Alexa Bliss is a really cute human. Also, who would have thought this entire Alexa and Nikki partnership would have gone this long. Its insane how many strong personalties the Smackdown women’s division has. Sasha, Bayley, Alexa, Nikki, Carmella, Lacey, Mandy, Sonya and even Dana Brooke are all women who could be in top championship feud on Smackdown. On that note, it’s still hysterical that Bayley is the champion yet Sasha is locked in the top feud for the division against Lacey. GIVE SASHA THE BELT. Lacey is killing it as a babyface and using her love for her daughter is a great way to get her more over with the fans. Its something relatable to all the moms out there and makes it harder for anyone who still dislikes her for her heel run to boo her.
Boss N’ Hug Connection def. Lacey Evans & Dana Brooke
In a solid match, Sasha Banks and Bayley defeat Lacey Evans and Dana Brook after Sasha Banks forces Dana Brooke to tap out to the bank statement.
This was a solid women’s tag match. I always enjoy watching Sasha Banks wrestle and I enjoy even more when she picks up big wins. I’m sure this tag team loss won’t sit well with Lacey Evans who still has build up animosity towards Sasha Banks. However, at the same time Bayley and mainly Sasha dont seem like they’re done pushing Lacey Evans buttons for the sake of pushing her buttons. Bayley still feels like an afterthought in this entire angle even though she’s the champion.
– Backstage, Dolph Ziggler and Mandy Rose are backstage at catering now. Ziggler brings up New Year’s Eve and wants Rose to be his date. She says she has no date and Ziggler can’t believe she will be alone when the clock strikes midnight. He also can’t believe Mandy got him a gift – the fruit cake from Otis, which is sitting on the table. Mandy says it came from Otis and his mom made it. Ziggler isn’t impressed with the fruit cake and isn’t impressed with Otis as he takes shots at the big man. He says Otis probably gave a cake to everyone in the locker room and someone even found a roach in one. Ziggler says Otis can’t possibly know anything about a woman like Rose. Ziggler puts the cake on the ground and stomps all over it. King Corbin walks up and needs to speak with Ziggler. They hurry off. NOOO! Ziggler cannot get in the way of the love story between Otis and Rose.
Mustafa Ali Vignette
Back from the break and we get a new vignette from Mustafa Ali. He says his 2019 didn’t go according to plan. We see some moments from his year, including the injury, coming up short at Money In the Bank due to WWE Champion Brock Lesnar, coming up short with the Intercontinental Title. Ali says there were plenty of dark times this year but he refuses to stand in the dark. Ali says he stands in the light and has done so this entire year. He’s been traveling the world, breaking down barriers and shattering stereotypes, changing what people think about someone who looks like him. He will continue that and he will continue his chase to become champion.
Once again for like the fourth time this year it seems like they’re going a new direction with Ali by airing video vignettes of him explaining either who he is or what his intentions are. This promo was very logical and it made sense but my only concern is that they follow through with it. I am an Ali fan and want to see him succeed in 2020.
– Backstage, Otis is walking and he doesn’t look happy. Some fans in the arena chant his name. Otis walks up on his fruit cake on the floor, which was destroyed by Dolph Ziggler. Otis looks like he’s plotting revenge. OTIS MUST KILL ZIGGLER.
Number One Contenders Match
Daniel Bryan def. The Miz and King Corbin
In a competitive main event, Daniel Bryan wins the opportunity to challenge Bray Wyatt for the Universal Championship at the Royal Rumble after countering The Miz’s figure four and locking in the Lebell Lock forcing Miz to tap out. King Corbin was taken out of the match mid-way through when Roman Reigns returned and brawled with Corbin all the way to the back.
After the match, The Firefly Fun House music interrupts and Wyatt appears on the big screen. Wyatt congratulates Bryan and says Bryan is about to have so much fun, but Wyatt isn’t sure if “he” is done with Bryan because “he”, The Fiend, doesn’t forget. Wyatt asks if Bryan is now willing to do what it takes, and if Bryan’s willing to let “him” in. The Fun House segment ends as the big screen goes black. Bryan is still in the ring standing tall as his music starts back up. Bryan leads a “yes!” chant with the crowd as the final SmackDown of the decade goes off the air.
I went into this match thinking that somehow we were going to have a non-finish again leading to a triple threat at the Rumble featuring both Miz and Bryan but that wasn’t the case. Corbin losing his opportunity due to Reigns was expected but it was well done. An ass kicking, non speaking and badass Roman Reigns is the best version of the Big Dog. Bray continues with the same rhetoric that “he” hasn’t forgotten what Bryan has done which honestly at this point, I kind of wish they would elaborate more to give the story more depth since it was basically the same promos we got going into Survivor Series.
This was an awesome episode of Smackdown this week. It flew by and was enjoyable. My two girls Carmella and Salsa Banks both picked up W’s. Roman being back was fun even though he was only gone for a week. They kept us intrigued for the entire show making us wait to find out who the number one contender was going to be even though it was predictable that Bryan would be involved. I was on the fence on if it would end up being a triple threat though. I can’t say I am going to remember anything from this episode 2-3 months from now but it wasn’t bad at all. I mean I might not ever forget the sight of Braun Strowman giving us his hips though. Thats one way to close off the final Smackdown of the decade.